- 295 ml water (70 to 80 degrees F)
- 8 g sugar
- 6 g salt
- 480 g bread flour
- 6 g active dry yeast
- 9 g cornmeal
- 1 egg
- 15 ml water
- 6 g sesame seeds, toasted
- In bread machine pan, place the first five ingredients in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Roll each portion into a 10-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal.
- Sprinkle a greased baking sheet with cornmeal; place loaves seam side down on prepared pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- Whisk egg and water; brush over loaves. With a sharp knife, make four shallow slashes across the top of each loaf. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. (Source: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/French-Bread-2/Detail.aspx)