250g char siew, diced
1 tsp sugar
1 small onion, diced
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
1-2 drops red food colouring (optional)
150 ml water
1½ tbsp corn flour
Salt to taste
1. Heat oil in pan, for 1 to 2 minutes. Add in all other ingredients A, stir fry for 1 minutes.
2. Mix together water with corn flour, add mixture into the pan and stir well. Simmer until gravy is thickened.
3. Transfer to bowl and allow to cool.
4. Set aside for later use.
8g instant dry yeast
170ml lukewarm water
300g hong kong flour
100g tan mien starch
80g icing sugar
30g shortening or vegetable oil
10g baking powder
10ml cold water
1. Sift together flours and icing sugar. Place sifted flour mixture in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the middle.
2. Fill well with lukewarm water and yeast. Use a spatula, gently stir the water to dissolve the yeast then slowly bring together flour mixture.
3. Add in shortening or oil and knead for 10-15 minutes until soft dough is formed. It should be smooth on the surface.
4. Cover dough with damp cloth and let it rise for 30 minutes.
5. Dissolve baking powder in cold water, sprinkle over dough and knead until well combined.
Divide dough into 16 equal portions and flatten with a rolling pin to make a 3” circle. Then place a teaspoon of filling in the middle, wrap and pleat the dough to seal. Place it on a round parchment paper, seal side up.
6. Arrange buns into a steamer.
Spray water mist over buns, and steam in a preheated steamer on high heat for 10 minutes.
Remove buns from steamer and cool on rack to prevent soggy bottom.