source from: http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/22/the-temporary-vegetarian-cabbage-and-mushroom-lasagna/
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 2/3 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound assorted fresh mushrooms (shiitake, oyster, porcini, chanterelles, cremini), thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 pounds Napa cabbage, 12 large leaves removed from the head, and reserved, the remainder chopped into rough dice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 4) Yukon Gold potatoes, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 cup grated Västerbotten or Parmesan cheese.
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 6 tablespoons of the butter. Add flour, stir for 3 minutes (do not allow to brown), then gradually whisk in milk, stirring until thickened, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in nutmeg and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat, allow to cool, and reserve.
- 3. In a 14 inch sauté pan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the remaining butter. Add onion and garlic, and sauté until onions are translucent. Add mushrooms, sage and chopped cabbage, and sauté until fragrant and the cabbage is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add wine and sauté until it has evaporated. Add reserved sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. The mixture should be very thick but slightly fluid; if necessary, add a little milk or water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 4. While the mushroom and cabbage mixture is simmering, pour 6 cups of water into a stock pot, and bring to a boil. Add whole cabbage leaves, and blanch for 2 minutes. Drain under cold water, and pat dry.
- 5. With remaining 1 tablespoon butter, grease a 9-by-9-inch glass baking dish. To assemble the lasagna, line the bottom of the dish with half the cabbage leaves, and top with half the potatoes, half the creamed mushrooms. Repeat the layering of cabbage, potatoes and mushrooms, and top with grated cheese. Cover snugly with foil, and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover, and bake until the top is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, and serve.